You never know what you might find at library storytime.
Of all the Christmas books she shared, this wasn’t one of them.
She only mentioned Babushka as one of Russia’s gift givers.
My curiosity was piqued.
I spent a good two years living in the heart of that great country,
associating with her good people and I did not remember
ever hearing of this Christmas figure.
Nor in all my academic studies had I run across her.
So when I found the book on the shelf I couldn’t wait
to take it home and discover something new.
What I found was a beautiful, tender message that
touches my heart each time I read it to my daughter.
(Once at naptime, once at bedtime. daily)
And while the story and the lovely illustrations may be new to me,
the message is truth that I have known;
remembering it in such a sweet tale was a wonderful
welcome to the Spirit of the Season.
A unanimous pick for our 2009 Christmas book.
“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
Matthew 25:40
No comments:
Post a Comment