Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rainy Day Soup



Here was my yummy lunch today. 

I made a big pot of this for the first time just before having surgery back in early March. 
It was very good and as it turned out, the perfect "soft food" required for eating just after. I ate so much of it, I dubbed it "surgery soup." 
But luckily, I had enough to freeze some ( did I say it was a BIG pot?) and got it out again just in time for these past rainy days. 
This is lucky because I really like it but the surgery association wasn't that pleasant, so I renamed it "rainy day soup" 
And I'll certainly be making it again when soup season (Fall) rolls back around.

Potato-Artichoke-Asparagus Soup
1 pound asparagus, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 potatoes, washed and chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 C water
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 cans (14 oz.) coconut milk
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried (or 1 Tbsp. fresh, chopped) tarragon
1 tsp. dried (or 2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped) basil

Bring the water to boil, then add the asparagus, celery, potatoes, and onion. Cover and reduce the heat to
medium low and simmer 20 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and simmer another 10 minutes. In a blender,
blend the coconut milk, cornstarch, salt, paprika, tarragon, and basil. Add the blend to the simmering
vegetables and heat to boiling, then simmer on low/medium until thickened, stirring frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment