I like squash
but I don't really know what to do with it
beyond butter and brown sugar.
So when a lovely acorn squash fell into my hands,
I determined to try a meal fit for a meat lover husband
and two sometimes-picky toddlers.
After a week of procrastination and an internet search,
here's what I came up with:
Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
(my version) see original at allrecipes.com
1 Tblsp butter, melted
1/2 lb ground beef
balsamic vinegar to taste
1 tsp minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup white beans, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1/2-1 Tblsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
Bake squash in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 min., until tender. Dissolve sugar in butter and brush squash with mixture, keep warm while preparing stuffing.
Brown beef with vinegar in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, celery and cook 5 min. Mix in beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt & pepper and cook until veggies are tender. Pour broth into skillet and add couscous. Cover and turn off heat. Leave covered for 5 min. Stuff squash halves with stuffing mixture and serve hot.
It was delicious
and at least one child ate it up with gusto
No comments:
Post a Comment