Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Three

So it has been only three weeks since
she turned 3 and she's already skipping to 5,
excitedly telling me, "I'll have another birthday and I'll be five."
Now everything is five.
"How many crackers do you want?" "Five"
"Let's choose two books." "No. Five."
Each time accompanied by the upheld hand
proudly displaying 5 fingers

I remember the moment of her birth
It was amazing, exhausting, and magical
No . . .
I think the word is sacred
It was a moment in which the full glory of womanhood
struck me with palpable force
and while I had little understanding of the real demands of motherhood,
I also had no idea how completely
she would become ingrained in my heart
with her bright eyes and ready smile
her infectious laughter, her empathy, her precociousness,
her desire to entertain ("is that funny mom?")
and despite the water on the floor and the drawings on the walls
each year she becomes more and more
my sweetie "gril" ever in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment