Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bugged


(AUTHOR'S NOTE: this post was meant to be humorous and sarcastic. Please read accordingly)

I had forgotten the abundance of fire bugs/box elder bugs that adorned the entrance of this house when we acquired it one year ago. I was undoubtedly occupied with more important matters at the time (ie cleaning, painting, re-carpeting, selling our old home and moving) and only noticed them in passing.

Their season returned abruptly. On the way out to run errands, the door was clean. Upon my return it was spotted with their little black &  red bodies, poised to come in with me and make themselves right at home. Somehow they manage to be everywhere: the threshold, those "anything but that" split entry stairs, windowsills, the kitchen counter, the bowl I just pulled out of the cupboard, the bathroom!? I even caught one taunting me from atop the refrigerator. What was it doing up there?

There is something inherently wrong with these bugs too -- they don't fly away. They CAN fly, they just prefer to let you flick them out of your way before making any effort at using those wings. (and sometimes they don’t even try that) Maybe they don't understand about humans. Normal bugs see us coming and immediately run away, frantically scurrying to find some sort of shelter. Normal flying bugs don't even give you a chance to zero in on them before zooming or buzzing or flittering off. Not box elder bugs; they just DAWDLE.

However, before I could get too frustrated by their ever-present nuisance, I noticed that their numbers and their temperaments were a perfect combination to keep the children entertained and occupied for hours at a time. The frequent "buggy" spottings were allowing me to get the dinner ready, or the laundry going, or the floor vacuumed without any interruptions. (okay, okay and novel reading too)

So I will not make war on the fire bugs this year either. This house has grown into our home and I suppose we can share it for a few short weeks each Autumn. But I've seen what happens to those lucky enough to be my kids' playmates. And unless they evolve into normal, human-fearing bugs, they probably won't be coming back next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment