Friday, October 23, 2009

a child's perspective


This was the scene after today’s baking expedition.

Which was surprisingly successful considering

my two young and curious helpers. Who taught me

two important lessons.

First that assigning them each their own bowl prevents

wrangling and any inadvertent spills

that may be caused by such behavior

However, I must then be doubly vigilant

for any errant extras that are sometimes thrown in

while my back is turned

(luckily this time it was only a little extra flour

-- later tossed out with his enthusiastic stirring)


As soon as the zucchini bread was safely in the oven,

I hurried them off to naps, ignoring the mess for the moment.

It was then that I received the more important lesson

when she told me with certainty, “the cleaning fairy will come

while we are sleeping and wipe it up the rest of the way.”


Cleaning Fairy!

I never knew she existed.

But now that I do I will most heartily believe,

for how wonderful and magical she must be!



So I sit here blogging away, continuing to ignore

our baking mess (not to mention the other messes around my house.

who says she only does kitchens?)

I better run and take a nap, though, since we all know

these fairies never show themselves when we’re awake


and I’ll need it cleaned up before dinnertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment