Friday, January 20, 2012

Going Green


As part of my commitment to be healthy in 2012, I am drinking Green Smoothies. 
I finally got the Blendtec high power blender I've been wanting for over a year and I love how smooth my spinach and kale blend up. 
The goal is 20 oz at least 4 times a week and I am discovering this takes more ingredients than I originally thought. 
I mean, a pound of raw greens per day is lot of greens in my produce drawer for just a week! 
(I usually like to grocery shop for 2 weeks at a time) 

So I blend up the greens in 1-2 cups of water, then add a banana and a cup or two of frozen mixed berries. 
I also throw in whatever other fruit I might have on hand 
(apples, pears, pineapple . . . often the leftovers of fresh or canned fruit that my kids have abandoned)
In addition to spinach and kale, I have used red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, chard, beet greens. So much nutritional goodness in all of these. 

I usually pour some for my husband and my kids as well. The kids don't drink it every time but I am always so gratified when they do. 
I am working on getting the fruit/greens proportion right for them.
I am loving this goal. I already have more energy, even when I don't get enough sleep (which is often)
And as you can see, it doesn't have to actually be green to be a green smoothie!

1 comment: