Monday, December 5, 2011

countdown calendar

One of my favorite memories from Christmases growing up was our countdown calendar. It was a simple felt wall hanging with a winding path leading to Bethlehem. There were only two pieces: Mary & Joseph hooked together, backed with velcro and the baby Jesus. I loved moving the expectant parents along their journey each day and couldn't wait for the 25th when I could finally take the baby out of his little pocket and place him in the manger.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to have my own such calendar?" I thought this year shortly before Thanksgiving. And I determined to make one, despite my obvious lack of crafting know-how and supplies.

However, the days ticked by and I was unsuccessful at finding a pattern (the original seems to have been lost in my mom's many moves since the days we lived under the same roof). When December 1st arrived I found myself still without felt, sewing machine, or pattern. And wouldn't you just know it, the howling winds cancelled school and knocked out the power so a craft was just the thing for a long day at home. If only I had been prepared! (I know, I know, I wouldn't have been able to use a sewing machine :)

So instead of a long-lasting, tradition-starting advent calendar, Laila and I spent a few happy hours making this one out of paper. She got to practice her numbers and art ("I'll do it, mom, because I'm the artist.") I got to use up some scrap paper that needed a purpose. While it isn't quite what I imagined and may not be durable enough to hold up for another year, we still get to move Mary and Joseph along the path and each day we do it, we remember for what we are celebrating.


1 comment: