So my life has been riddled with a series of strange days lately. The most strange of which was that crazy wind storm we lived through on Thursday. Who would have thought that "air" could do so much damage and that hurricane-like winds could reach us inlanders? Gusting at 90-102 mph, the wind was so strong that it shook the house. Laila was frightened and worried for family and friends. So after sending Dad off to work, the two of us kneeled down on the kitchen floor to pray for safety and protection.
I am grateful for prayer. And a daughter who loves to pray with me.
As we watched leaves blowing about outside and witnessed the birds being buffeted from branch to branch and tree to tree, I was grateful that my home is on the ground and not up in the treetops. I was also grateful to be indoors when I realized that it was not just leaves, but roof shingles and siding pieces flying around out there.
When the power went out, we stayed warm because we have several large windows facing South that catch the sunlight and magnify her warmth.
I am grateful for the sun.
Those same windows bowed inward many a time whilst the wind was blowing but they kept their integrity (even the two currently awaiting replacement but masterfully duct-taped together).
I am grateful for duct tape, and ladders, and my husband.
After hearing that the power could be off for 48 hours, I was grateful for a thoughtful sister-in-law who offered to let us sleep at her place so we wouldn't freeze overnight.
I am grateful for family.
Fortunately, electricity was restored by late afternoon and then I was grateful I had recently done my grocery shopping so that we could enjoy a yummy home-cooked meal.
I am grateful for my oven.
Despite having power, we still were without internet service and that means no phone. Then my cell phone stopped working too and we had to run down the road to call dad and let him know we were all okay.
I am thankful for kind neighbors (and their cell phones)
As night fell and we had another power glitch that lasted only about 20 minutes, I was grateful for a son who is enchanted by flashlights and so had one close at hand to light our way throughout the house.
I am grateful for flashlights. and batteries.
Yes, it was certainly a strange day. One in which I realized that we are, perhaps, underprepared for emergency situations but full of gratitude that no one was hurt and nothing was broken (aside from some tree limbs & one fence panel)
now I am off to pick up debris from the lawn but will share a short gratitude list
soft blankets
"i love you"s
silent baby laughter
hugs
color
a home
chat outs
warm water
the smell of rain
thank you notes
story time
socks
cold drinking water
hands to hold
language
and so much more . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment